TheToolGeeks.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and other affiliate advertising programs. We may earn from qualifying purchases. (Learn More).
When you’re camping, out in the wild or facing survival situations, having the right tools can certainly help and be a lifesaver. One tool that’s gained popularity among homeowners, campers, deep-woods backpackers, rescue crews, and survival experts is the pocket chainsaw. It’s small, lightweight, and does a great job at cutting and clearing.
In this complete guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about pocket chainsaws, from what they are and what they’re used for to how to take care of them and stay safe. So, let’s break it down and make understanding pocket chainsaws a breeze for your backyard, local woods, outdoor adventures and survival needs.
Jump To Page Contents:
What is a Pocket Chainsaw?
A pocket chainsaw is a compact, hand-operated cutting tool created for outdoor activities and survival scenarios. It typically consists of a chain with sharp teeth and two handles at each end for easy gripping. This compact tool allows users to cut through wood, branches, and other materials efficiently.
Pocket chainsaws have evolved from traditional saws and chainsaws. They were developed to address the need for a lightweight and portable cutting tool, without a motor, in various outdoor activities. Over time, pocket chainsaws have become popular because they are practical and easy to use.
Why Choose a Pocket Chainsaw?
Portability and Compactness:
Pocket chainsaws are very small and light, so you can easily put them in your backpack or even your pocket. However, we do recommend a carrying case to protect your clothes and other gear from their blades sharp edges.
Their small size is a significant advantage for those who need to travel light during outdoor adventures.
Versatility in Outdoor Activities:
Whether you’re camping, hiking, hunting, or involved in any outdoor activity, a pocket chainsaw can come in handy for various tasks like removing dead branches in your backyard, cutting firewood for your campsite, clearing trails for hiking, or building shelters during an emergency.
Pocket chainsaws provide a compact and effective solution for cutting wood for fire, creating shelter, or signaling for help.
How Does a Pocket Chainsaw Work?
Manual Operation of Pocket Chainsaw
Unlike traditional chainsaws powered by gasoline or electricity, pocket chainsaws are operated manually. Users pull the chain back and forth to make cuts, similar to using a traditional saw.
Pocket Chainsaw Components
A regular pocket chainsaw is made up of three parts:
- Chain with sharp teeth
- Two handles for gripping
- Attachment rings for extending the length
The sharp teeth on the chain are designed to grip and cut through wood effectively. The back-and-forth motion of the chain generates cutting force, allowing users to make precise cuts.
Things to Consider Before Choosing a Pocket Chainsaw
Length and Weight
Pocket chainsaws come in various lengths and weights. Typical lengths range from 25 inches to 36 inches. Typical weights range from 5 ounces to 10 ounces. Longer chainsaws provide more cutting reach and allow the user to generate more cutting momentum but may be heavier.
Chain and Blade Type
Pocket chainsaws have varying chain types and blade designs. Most blade chains are made of carbon steel. But be sure to check the hardness value of the carbon steel as it can vary (the higher the hardness number the harder and more durable the blade).
Number of Blades
The teeth on the blade do the actual cutting and pocket chainsaws have a varying number of cutting blades. In fact, some pocket chainsaws may have alternating cutting and non-cutting blades on the blade chain, instead of all cutting blades. The reason is due to the fact that the person supplies the cutting power with the back and forth pulling motion.
The number of cutting blades can vary, regardless of the overall chain length. Typical blade counts range from 10 to 50 and the greater number of cutting blades, generally the quicker cutting time.
Check the cutting direction of pocket chainsaws. Some will be one-directional while others will be bi-directional. Bi-directional will allow you to cut further with each back and forth motion.
Another thing to consider is if the chain has cutting blades on one side or both sides of the blade chain. One-sided cutting blades would require that the chain side be used against the surface to be cut, while two-side cutting blades enable either side to be used against the surface to be cut.
Handle Design and Comfort
Handles are a key part of a pocket chainsaw since the design and quality will determine how much power and momentum the user can create during use.
Ergonomically designed handles offer better comfort during prolonged use. Handles made of high-strength nylon or thick leather are recommended for frequent use, while plastic pull-type handles can suffice for occasional use.
Make sure that the handles of the pocket chainsaw you pick are comfortable and provide you a firm hold.
Using a Pocket Chainsaw Safely
Safety Gear and Equipment:
Prior to using a pocket chainsaw, it’s crucial to put on the right safety equipment, such as gloves and eye protection. These items protect against injury, splinters and debris while cutting.
Proper Cutting Techniques:
To use a pocket chainsaw safely and effectively, follow these steps:
- Make sure the item you’re cutting is firmly held.
- Keep your body in the right posture and maintain balance.
- Use smooth and consistent cutting motions.
- Ensure the chain is properly lubricated.
- Steer clear of any twisting or bending of the chain while using it.
Applications of Pocket Chainsaws
Camping and Outdoor Cooking:
Pocket chainsaws are ideal for cutting firewood and preparing it for cooking or heating while camping.
In survival situations, a pocket chainsaw can help you cut branches and materials to build a shelter quickly.
Whether for warmth or cooking, a pocket chainsaw simplifies the process of gathering and processing firewood.
Clearing Paths and Trails:
When hiking or camping, you might need to clear obstructive branches or create pathways. A pocket chainsaw makes this task easier.
Having a pocket chainsaw in your survival kit can be a lifesaver during emergencies, allowing you to cut through debris or signal for help.
Maintenance and Care
Regularly sharpen the teeth of your pocket chainsaw to maintain cutting efficiency.
Cleaning and Lubrication:
To maintain smooth operation and prevent rust, it’s important to keep the chain clean and properly lubricated.
Store your pocket chainsaw in a dry place and consider using a protective case to prevent damage during carrying and to avoid cutting yourself.
In conclusion, pocket chainsaws are invaluable tools for outdoor enthusiasts, campers, hikers, and anyone concerned with emergency preparedness. Understanding their features, usage, safety precautions, and maintenance will enable you to make the most of this versatile and portable cutting tool in various outdoor and survival scenarios. Whether you’re clearing a campsite, building a shelter, or preparing firewood, a pocket chainsaw should be a key item in your outdoor gear arsenal.
Recommended Pocket Chainsaws to Purchase
- SUBSTANTIAL TEETH: This 48 teeth pocket chainsaw is 36 inches long with sharp teeth on every link, so that means the saw cuts 3 x faster than saws with teeth on every third link, and even thick tree limbs are no match for this compact but mighty hand chainsaw.
- BI-DIRECTIONAL TEETH REDUCE BINDING: this portable, manual chainsaw is like having Paul Bunyan in your pocket. The 48 saw teeth are made from strong heat-treated steel and cut both ways into the wood with less binding or sticking for fast and easy non-slip cutting. The teeth stay sharp easily with a ⅜ P Chainsaw file.
- 36 INCH CHAIN ROPE CUTS OVERHEAD BRANCHES EASILY: this rope chainsaw is 36 inches, making it easy to swing over high branches for cutting or pruning and fit into tight grooves where chainsaws can’t.
- COMFORTABLE HANDLES: the handles are soft nylon which is more comfortable to grab onto than paracord and won’t cut into your hands or cause blisters. The orange color makes it easy to find your manual pocket saw - even in the dark.
- ULTIMATE CAMPING AND SURVIVAL TOOL: this 5.96 ounces lightweight pocket chainsaw is stronger, and more compact than a wire or cable saw and includes a high-quality pouch that attaches to your belt for convenience.
- Our #1 rated CAMPNDOOR rope saw double sided is packed with customized case and handles, a sharpening tool, high-fly ropes and gloves. Take control of your tree cutting projects and save on costly professional services
- REACH 25 FT LIMBS - NO LADDER NEEDED: Simply toss the manual chain saw over the branch, pull both sides, and watch the teeth blaze through. No ladders, no hassle.
- Our double sided wire saw's 65MN High-Carbon Steel blade with patented TIGERClaw and BULLDOZER teeth effortlessly tackles heavy yard tasks.
- Our complete kit, including a carrying case, empowers you to handle any task. From removing road-blocking trees to building a shelter or creating a cozy fireside ambiance, you'll be prepared.
- Compact and lightweight, our hand chainsaw is perfect for camping, hiking, and outdoor adventures.
- PORTABLE CHAIN SAW WITH MULTIPURPOSE PARACORD HANDLE: The chain saw is lightweight, versatile, and flexible. 24 inches chain can be folded within 4 inches and has a total weight of only 0.39bls,
- it can untie and extend to a maximum of 275 inches to reach high branches or other emergency situations.
- FASTER CUTTING SPEED & SAVING MUCH EFFORT: With eleven sharp cutting saw blades, the portable survival saw can cut through wood from small branches to large tree trunks in seconds and cut over-head branches with ease, the flexible chainsaw links create steady yet flexible bi-directional motion, which saves a large amount of time and effort.
- FORGING MATERIAL: Made of industrial-grade heat-treated steel chain for long-lasting durability, with super strong paracord handles and self-cleaning style cutting teeth.
- POUCH: It comes with a convenient and compact belt loop pouch to store a hand chain saw. pocket chainsaw, fire starter, and chainsaw file. Definitely be helpful to your bushcraft needs.
- WHAT YOU GET: 1 x Pocket Chainsaw + 1 x Paracord Survival Bracelet + 1 x Carrying Pouch + 1 x Chainsaw File.
- A powerful companion to the pocket knife.
- Testing on this 65Mn MANUAL chainsaw means only a 988+ LB Man could break it from misuse.
- Long rope chainsaw, chain hand saw for trees trimming and emergency food supply you keep inside your camping gear, hunting gear or outdoor gear backpacking survival kits.
- 2x Faster Cut&Clear combines 48 Tiger Claw Teeth with 48 Clog-Clearing Bulldozer Teeth.
- We fit more camping knife teeth per square inch too, making this the ultimate people power portable chain saws, folding cable saw for wood double sided, limb saw chain, tree cutting rope with handles, tool kit hiking gear string saw for doing it all.
- No Chainsaw Sharpener Required: resharpens with a standard file.
- Lightweight Manganese (Mn) infusion naturally absorbs shock away from hands, for hours of comfortable use, then quickly clips to belt loop - for zero-hassle bushcraft & backpacking.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.